Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Recommendations

I know this site is dedicated to all the adventurous and crazy things I do but I thought I'd take a moment to tell you of a few of my favorite things (blogs/places/websites/tours) that I think are worth checking out:

1. http://ridgelines.wordpress.com/ - My friend, Jocelyn, and her friend, Meg, are hiking the Appalachian Trail from one end to the other (Georgia to Maine).  This is Meg's blog on the experience.  This hike will on average take about 5 months and they will lose 2/3rds of their body fat.  I admire their courage!!! Especially because I would LOVE to hike the Appalachian Trail from start to end but I could barely get through a 6 hour hike two weeks ago!!! Hopefully I can meet them along the trail when they reach Massachusetts.  I also plan to donate to the Alpine Initiatives for them as well. 

2. http://www.oyster.com/ - Just learned of this site today.  It will show you the actual photos of hotels that you will be staying at.  Orbitz or Hotwire or even the hotel website themselves will only show you pictures that look appealing.  This website will show you how they are!!!

3. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ - I never go anywhere without checking this site out!!! These are reviews by people who actually have been to the places whether its an accommodation, place to see/go, restaurant, etc.  They not only rate their experience and give tips, but they sometimes post pictures!!! I live off of this site when planning a vacation!!!

4. Brazil - A MUST SEE!!! I went to the state of Santa Catarina and it was by far, my favorite place I've ever been!!! If you go to Rio or Sao Paulo it's very dangerous but Santa Catarina is much safer!!! Remember, it is still considered a 3rd world country and people are poor! But I loved it here. If you stay in Florianopolis you may get people who speak English but don't count on it.  LOL.

5. Arizona - By far my favorite state in the United States.  The only downside would probably be that there is no ocean.  But then you can drive the 6-8 hours to California!!! It's also close to the coolest states around - California, Nevada, Colorado, and Utah!!  Arizona itself has its gems - the desert (I LOVE cactus), Grand Canyon, Sedona, all the Ghost Towns, and many many more things. Someday I hope to move here.

6. South Dakota - Had I not done research on South Dakota, I probably would have never gone! Up in the Black Hills of South Dakota you will find Custer State Park, Wind Cave National Park, Jewel Cave National Monument Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, Crazy Horse Memorial, Wall Drug, plenty of chuckwagon supper & shows, a 2 hour drive to Devils Tower, and much much more.  Towns are tiny but South Dakota is gorgeous!!!

7.  Acampa Nature Adventure Tours in Puerto Rico - http://www.acampapr.com/ - I did the Toro Negro Rainforest & Waterfall Zipline Full Day Adventure!! This was an AWESOME tour! I actually preferred this rainforest over El Yunque but then again, if I did the tour of El Yunque with Acampa, then maybe I would've liked it better.  Acampa's tour guides were fantastic.  Very knowledgeable and awesome!!!

8. Xcaret Eco Park in Cancun, Mexico - http://www.xcaret.com/ - I highly recommend at least two days at this park!! We spent a day there and didnt get to see it all.  They picked us up at our hotel and brought us to the park.  As I look at their website, they have a lot more than when I was there.  Things they have include: Shark tours, snuba, snorkeling, swim with dolphin, paradise river, natural pools, snorkeling inlet, beach, lagoons, underground river (AWESOME), sea trek, snuba reef, concerts, tlachco dinner, prehispanic dance, equestrian show, open theater, pre-hispanic ball game, papantla flying men, spectacular nightshow, Mayan archaeological sites, zoo (bat cave, butterfly pavilion, tapir, turtles, jaguars, monkeys, flamingos, manatees, and deer), flower gardens (orchids, mushrooms), aquarium, etc.  It has a LOT.  The beaches are nice to relax in the hammock! It's a GREAT place!!!

9. Medieval Manor in Boston - http://www.medievalmanor.com/laugh.html - Yummy food, funny show! Eat with your hands, be a loud mouth, drink, and be merry!!! What more could you want?

So that's it.  All  my recommendations for now. :)

2 comments:

  1. Why dont you just move now? And it's great because I live in AZ!!! So when you move, you'll already have friends here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I've got a house and other things first. When I'm ready though, you'll be the first to know!! :)

    ReplyDelete